Mom and Dad, be aware: Your kids may be spending money on Fortnite without your permission. But don’t panic, you’re here reading this article for a reason, a good one. You’re here because you believe in the sanctity of protecting your children’s privacy.
Epic Games, the creator of Fortnite, has reached a settlement agreement to pay $520 million in response to a lawsuit accusing the company of breaching children’s privacy and employing misleading tactics to deceive players into making unauthorized transactions.
Parents stay alert, your lovelies are trading their personal info without you and their knowing!
$275 million will be allocated by Epic Games for fines and $245 million for reimbursing consumers. The refunds include expenses for collecting personal information under the age of 13 without the permission of you guys.
Things to look out for if your child…
If your child’s Fortnite account has been breached, you as a parent should have the answers to the following questions:
- Do you notice any unfamiliarity in the charges of your credit card or bank statement.
- Does your child have access to your credit card or the information of your bank account?
- Any Fortnite account signed by your child?
- Do they have more Fortnite gear or items than they should have?
If your answers were yes. Oh shoot! You are in trouble… But for every problem there is a solution. Go ahead and talk to your child once you notice these signs.
Good news for Mom and Dad…
You can visit the FTC’s website to submit a claim for a refund, once you notice that your child got breached, take into consideration the following tips to help protect your children:
- Set up parental controls.
- Explain to your children the importance of asking your permission before making any in-game purchases.
- Check your credit card statements regularly for the sake of catching any unauthorized purchases.
If you have any questions or concerns about your child’s Fortnite spending, you can contact the FTC or Epic Games customer support.
Oh, and don’t forget to set up a password or PIN for your child’s device and for their Fortnite account!
Inside Telecom provides you with an extensive list of content covering all aspects of the tech industry. Keep an eye on our Tech sections to stay informed and up-to-date with our daily articles.