On the 23rd of October, Uber announced a new service, the Cappadocia hot air balloon rides in Turkey, reminiscent of, you got it, hot air balloon rides. Named “Uber Balloons”, it can be easily booked through the Uber app.
Gazing out the car window, daydreaming about the passing pedestrians, and the buildings that seem to topple in the distance… Are you ready for a 1.5-hour journey above the clouds?
Why did Uber choose Cappadocia specifically?
This region is distinguished by its unique geography and captivating history that is layered, rich and complex. On top of that, it’s known for its exceptional rock formations and awe-inspiring sight of hot air balloons in the sky.
A commendable selection by Uber. The perfect location for the most apt audience.
From taxis, to yachar, to its latest venturing ‘above and amidst the clouds’ … Will there be a flying station? Uber did that as well. In 2019, Uber Copter was launched in New York, offering an eight-minute flight between the city and its major airport.
So, let’s dig into Uber’s broad services. The company splits its offerings into two groups: Ride-hailing and food delivery.
- UberX: The most popular and affordable ride option.
- UberX Share: Share the ride with up to one co-rider at a time to save money.
- Uber Comfort: Newer cars with extra legroom.
- Uber Black: Premium rides in luxury cars.
- Uber Green: Sustainable rides in electric vehicles.
- Uber Assist: Rides with drivers trained to assist riders with disabilities.
- Uber Taxi: Local taxi cabs at the tap of a button.
- Uber Scooters: Electric scooters to help you get around your city.
- Uber Eats: Order food from restaurants and have it delivered to your door.
- Uber Connect: Send and receive packages.
- Uber Freight: Ship large items.
And afterwards, Uber is developing into new areas, like..
- Uber Air: Air taxi service.
- Uber Transit: Real-time public transportation information.
- Uber Elevate: A division of Uber that is focused on developing new transportation technologies, such as self-driving cars and flying cars.
In 2023, Uber launched a new service expansion: a private boat in Mykonos, Greece, name “Uber Boat.” It allows users to reserve a trip for themselves and up to eight guests. The pricing is determined based on the distance covered and the time of the day.
Uber is a German word that means above or over. By this, the company is trying to convey its vision of providing superior transportation services. However, Uber’s stock price is down by 20% year-to-date. So, they’re putting effort into such services like Uber Yachts and the hot air balloon.
So, why this expansion?
- To develop its revenue streams, by expanding into new areas like boat charters and air taxis.
- Uber is trying to become the go-to platform for people to move from point A to B.
- To stay ahead of the game and to collect data from its customers to improve Uber’s existing services and to develop new ones.
The latter is weirdly questionable. Does Uber like any other AI tool take advantage of people’s data for its own good? Again, the same scenario?!
SOOO, do you think you’ll be cloud-sick with Uber’s new Cappadocia hot air balloon rides?!
Inside Telecom provides you with an extensive list of content covering all aspects of the tech industry. Keep an eye on our Tech sections to stay informed and up-to-date with our daily articles.