Thursday, September 29, 2022
Published 2 Years Ago on Monday, Oct 19 2020 By Inside Telecom Staff
South Korea’s largest mobile carrier, SK Telecom, has partnered up with U.S. ride-hailing app, Uber, to spin off its mobility services, while the latter aims to crack the tough SK market.
According to the mobile carrier’s regulatory filing, the mobility business, called T Map Mobility Co., will be entirely owned by SK Telecom to become its own independent company as of December 29, 2020.
The partnership brings forth a joint venture that will see Uber Technologies directly invest more than $50 million within the new entity that offers mobility services such as satellite navigation and taxi-hailing, while the remaining $100 million will be done via joint venture structure.
“The new joint venture would create opportunities in the taxi-hailing market in Korea and explore new areas, including future mobility services,” Uber and SK Telecom said in a joint statement.
The move is Uber’s latest attempt to expand in a market where it has previously faced tough competition as well as opposition from taxi drivers and regulations which forced it to stop using private cars for its ride-hailing service in 2015.
According to the joint statement, the mobility services venture combines T Map Mobility’s “network of drivers and mapping technology with Uber’s ride-hailing technology and global operations expertise.”
The platform will look to launch in a co-branded manner, where riders and drivers of T Map Taxi will be encouraged to join after launch. T Map Taxi is SK Telecom’s taxi-hailing platform, the second largest in Korea after Kakao.
Under the plan, Uber will own a 51 percent majority stake within the joint venture, while the remaining 49 percent will be held by SK Telecom. “We expect T Map Mobility, which is valued at 1 trillion won ($873.3 million), to grow into a company worth 4.5 trillion won by 2025,” the statement read.
Even during its current winter state, the crypto world is still alive. New buyers are still coming in, maybe not as before, but still, some are committed to buying the dip. The Crypto wallet conversation is one to be had when venturing into the crypto world. Between the crypto physical wallet and its virtual counterpart […]
Stay tuned with our weekly newsletter on all telecom and tech related news.
© Copyright 2022, All Rights Reserved